Wednesday, January 13, 2010

PHinally Done!

I am PHinally Done with my graduate research! While obesity researchers still have a world of things to discover, I am finished. I'm on to bigger and better things - making cakes! What? You think that's ironic? Well....maybe. But what would the world be without cakes?! Someone's got to make them, and I volunteer for the job!

Cakes are good for you. Maybe not for your waistline, but they're good for your spirit, your emotions, your overall well-being. I could go into the scientific explanation behind it but why don't you just...

...trust me, I'm a doctor.

I've been dying to say that! If you haven't seen the Dr. Pepper commercials, check this one out. Dr. Pepper is my favorite soda so it's only appropriate that I steal their slogan, right?!

To celebrate my graduation from the University of Florida and my sister's graduation from the University of North Texas, we had a big party with lots of friends and family. This is the first time the whole Mitchell family has been together in at least 15 years!


I was lucky enough to graduate with two of my really good friends, Nicole & Shelby. At one point during the party, Shelby realized that we were all holding the things currently ranked #1 on our "wish list" for life. I was holding Lorelei (James' and Elise's adorable daughter); Nicole was holding Nani; and Shelby was holding a glass of wine! Of course, we had to document the coincidence with a photo, and I absolutely love it!

The party really wore Nani out. She usually doesn't relax enough to close her eyes while we have visitors over, but we caught her falling asleep in the middle of the dining room while the house was still full of people. And, by the way, don't you just love her little shirt? My sister gave it to me for my birthday last year. So cute!


Before all the family came into town, Elise & I went to campus to take some graduation portraits. I had decorated a dummy cake to use in the photos...I guess my idea was to symbolize my transition from obesity research to cake decorating. Whether or not we succeeded in getting that point across, I am thrilled with the photos.

The cake and the party invitation, which was hand-made by Nicole (she's awesome!):



Some shots with the Bull Gator:


The school mascots, Albert & Alberta:


And the stadium!


This next one might be my favorite photo of the day. I hate my feet...but I just love how this photo came out! Elise has such an amazing eye for photography! Would you believe she's self-taught?! I'm so happy she captured such an important time in my life, and even happier to call her a friend.


To see more photos from the shoot, check out Elise's blog by clicking here and here.

Now time for the sappy stuff. This is your warning. If you despise acceptance speeches and things like that, stop reading now. You've been warned.

For those of you still with me, I want to publicly thank all the people who have supported me. I dedicated my dissertation to my husband Adam for so many reasons. He was a quiet listener when I had to get something off my chest and helped me put things back into perspective. Through everything, he has been a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, and a best friend to laugh with. Mom and Dad, you've always been my biggest - and loudest - fans. I hear your cheers, and they're what keep me going. Robin, I'm so proud of you for your graduation and accomplishments. I'm so glad we got to share this graduation party!

My grandparents (both paternal and maternal), my extended family, Adam's parents, and Adam's extended family were always interested in how many rats I had to feed each day. Throughout my life, they have all supported my every decision and believed I could accomplish anything I set my mind to.

My lab members were, of course, crucial to my scientific progress, but some of them also became great friends. Mike, JJ, and Lourdes - you guys are da bomb. The A Team rules!

And last, but not least, I want to thank the members of my Girls' Night group for helping me escape from the world of science every once in a while. Even though the conversations often turned back to science during our outings, it was nice to vent out frustrations and celebrate accomplishments with a good group of friends.

1 comments:

Elise said...

Aww, thanks Melanie for the sweet comments!! And congrats again on graduating! I love that photo with you and Nicole and Shelby, by the way! Hilarious!!

Post a Comment