Wednesday, October 21, 2009

'Tis the Season for Creativity

I love the changes of the seasons because that means I get to be creative with decorations and gifts! I'm already brainstorming some new home decor ideas for Thanksgiving and Christmas...if any of them are successful, I'll be sure to post them here.

I totally stole this idea from Elise. She bought a plain wreath from the craft store and decorated it with relatively inexpensive fake flowers and leaves. (Hehe, when I originally wrote this post, I used the word "flours" instead of "flowers"...Freudian slip, I guess.) Check out her wreath. I liked the idea so I ran over to JoAnn's last weekend! Of course, I couldn't decide on one color scheme...so I made 2. Here they are:


The first one has the traditional autumnal colors - oranges, reds, yellows, and browns. I wanted this one to look slightly rustic so I kept the decorations to a minimum so you could still see the wreath underneath.

Here's a shot where you can see the base wreath under all the added decorations:


On the second wreath, I picked yellow and purple flowers to go with my leaves and berries. This one is more full and reminds me of something you'd find in a Southern Living Magazine.



There are a few reasons why I really love this idea (thanks, Elise!):

1. They're cheap, customizable decorations. The first wreath cost $15 and the second was $20! If you look closely, you can tell I used the same leaves on both. I bought one "leaf garland" and just cut it up to put on the wreath bases and grabbed a couple of different flower and berry bunches. To make the wreaths, just push the stems of the leaves and flowers into the wreath base. The base will hold the decorations surprisingly well - no glue mess required!

2. You can change the wreaths with the seasons. Since you didn't use any glue, you can just pull the decorations out of the wreath base and insert new ones for Christmas and Spring! Wow, Elise, you're so smart! Why can't I think of things like this?

3. Every wreath is different. Look at how different mine came out even though I used the same leaves. If you make a wreath, share it with the rest of us - email me your photos and I'll post them for you!

And now I'll leave you with a fun video clip from the creative people at Improv Everywhere:

1 comments:

Elise said...

I love your wreaths!!! My favorite is the second one! And yes, it's so easy and so much cheaper! Now I can't wait for the spring, so I can recreate my wreath. Love it!

Post a Comment