Saturday, October 31, 2009

How 'Bout Some Cake to Go with That Pumpkin Topper?

Remember the pumpkin cake topper I showed you how to make last week? Well, here's the cake I created to go with it.


The cake is made up of 6-and 10-inch tiers. I cut the sides at an angle to give it a more whimsical feel. Then, I carved the staircase out of the side of the 10-inch tier. The whole thing was iced in buttercream and covered with fondant. Next, I airbrushed it with both blue and purple so that the cake got darker towards the top.


The pumpkin topper was made of Styrofoam so I was able to do that ahead of time. When the cake was ready, I just stuck the pumpkin on top and added leaves & vines.


To create the stone staircase, I rolled out some grey fondant and pressed it into a cobblestone pattern mat. Then, I just laid it over the carved staircase.

The house was hand-cut out of black gum paste that I had rolled to about 1/16-inch thickness.


The trees & fences were made the same way as the house.

To make the pumpkins, I rolled orange fondant into a ball and pressed a straight edge in the side to create the pattern. I rolled a small snake of green fondant and curled it slightly for the vines and stuck a small piece of brown fondant on top for the stem.

The spiderwebs were made with royal icing and tip 1. Hint: this tip is SUPER small so it will save you a lot of frustration if you make sure you don't have any large sugar crystals in your icing that will clog the tip. I like push my royal icing through the foot of some unused pantyhose to do this.


The tombstones were made of gray gum paste and stuck onto skewers so they could easily be added to the cake.

Did you create anything special (edible or not) for Halloween? Will you be dressing up tonight?

Adam & I went to a costume party last night. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures, but Adam was Capt'n Jack Sparrow and I was Rainbow Brite! Do you know who Rainbow Brite is? She was an adorable cartoon character from the 80s - check this out.

Happy Halloween!

Reminders:
1. Vote for me at Iron Cupcake Earth: Music! Voting ends noon central time on November 5th.
2. If you live in the Gainesville area, we're having a cake get-together tomorrow, November 1st 2-4pm. Check Icing on the Cake for details & directions.

1 comments:

Ivo Serenthà said...

Good halloween and my compliments for your blog and pictures included,I encourage you to photoblog,

http://photosphera01.spaces.live.com

Greetings from Italy,

Marlow

Post a Comment